Volunteer Samaritans, Rescuers and Lifeguard Corps
The Volunteer Samaritans, Rescuers and Lifeguard Corps of Hellenic Red Cross was founded in 1932 upon desicion taken by the National Society Board.
Nowdays the Volunteer Samaritans, Rescuers and Lifeguards Corps is the biggest Volunteer Organization providing First Aid and Rescue Services in Greece.
Volunteer Samaritans and Rescuers of Hellenc Red Cross are providing daily First Aid Services in numerous sports and cultural activities and during emergencies are being mobilized by the General Secreteriat of Civil Protection and the Fire Brigade to provide Rescue Services. The Corps is using a strong network of 36 branches nationwide.
The Schools that are provided are as follows:
School of First Aid, 15 months in duration
School of Junior Samaritans, 24 months in duration
School of Rescue, 3 months in duration
School of Lifeguards, 3 months in duration
The main tasks of the Volunteer Samaritans, Rescuers and Lifeguards of Helenic Red Cross are:
1. Search and Rescue missions
2. Disaster Response and Releif
3. irst Aid Services in sports events
4. First Aid Services in major cultural events like concerts an theatrical plays
5. First Aid and CPR trainings towards the general public, students, companies and factories
6. Various enviornmental tasks
7. Are informing the general public regarding disastr management and risk managment for emergencies.
8. Are in close collaboration with all the Greek Emergency Agencies i Disaster Preparedeness, Response and Releif.
9. Seaside First Aid Stations are deplyed during summer and Lifeguard Services are provided during the summer period
10. Along with the State Emergency Services, are protecting forests against wild fires
11. Blood banks and blood donation campaigns.
New collaborations are bing made with National Societies in the region in order to expand acivities in the area and also to strengthen interborder collaboration during major disasters in the Balkans.
copyright: Samaritans, Rescuers and Lifeguards Corps Administration - Training Department